Friday, October 29, 2004

Truth and fiction are so often the same thing...

I am a big fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's middle earth stories. When I read the news that a new species of human was found in Indonesia that was similar to his hobbit descriptions, I was very excited. Just think, humans that adapted to jungle life by becoming as small as a 3 year old. How cool is that? I'm sure Tolkien wasn't a prophet, or was he? Anyway, he seemed to get this one right.

Compare that with the other big news in science. The revelations of Saturn's moon, Titan, seem so similar to me to Arthur C. Clarke's Space Oddesy description of Jupiter's moon, Europa. An icy planet with the right formulas for life. Wow! Of course, for those of you familiar with his books, he uncannily fortold many interesting things that have happened or been discovered in space. How weird is that?

Good writers help the common man discover more about the world, life, and himself. Sometimes, not even the writer realizes how well he does that. I wonder what we'll discover next?

No comments: