Monday, October 25, 2004

Everything I need to know I learn from Google

I'm not the type of person who likes a lot of fluff. I like simplicity and honesty. What's the point of beauty without substance? When I'm searching the internet (or anything else) the last thing I want is to go through tons of pretty pages, and not find the answers I want.

Enter Google, stage right. Now, if Google were just a search engine in itself, I would be pretty happy. Here is a simple page with no banner or pop up ads, just a great easy tool to find what I need in the vast internet space. But Google is more than that... Google has a mission. The founders didn't start in it for money. They didn't go out to monopolize the computer industry and make everything fit for them. They wanted to be a useful part of someone else's business. All they wanted was a simple way to bring the world's information to the average person.

The great thing is that Google keeps trying to make that information easier to find. Just having a powerful search engine wasn't enough. There are tools to find books, define words, locate places, and more within the search engine. Then, to add to the simplicity Google provides a web browsing tool bar to BLOCK popup ads. They create a separate news area, that searches the world's news without bias. They provide an email service that doesn't annoy with banner ads or spam and is fully searchable. Of course their blogger is simple, yet powerful as well. There's even a catalog searching area. Now, they are adding a computer desktop to easily search your files. What will they do next?

Not only are these programs powerful, yet simple; have relevant ads, yet free from obnoxiousness, they also play well with most programs and are working on others. There's no bias or monopolizing like so many big companies do today. Just a mission to bring the world to everyone. So for that, I thank you, Google. Don't ever lower your standards. You are my computer hero.

No comments: